Watermelon is finally back in season at the Market! We’ve been waiting all summer for this juicy and delicious treat so here are some quick tips to pick out a great watermelon!
- Look for a symmetrical, smooth watermelon. A misshappen watermelon could indicate too little water when the melon was growing.
- Look for the “field spot”, where the watermelon was growing on the ground. The spot should be a decent size and yellow, not white.
- Make sure the skin is dull. Shiny skin could indicate an unripe melon.
- Give it a tap, a good watermelon should sound hollow.
- Lift it up, make sure its a good weight for its size.
If the watermelon passes these tests, it promises to be a tasty one!