Strawberries and rhubarb are both back in season at the market! Today we’re sharing a classic strawberry rhubarb pie recipe to bring this delicious pair together.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Extra sugar
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and stir briefly until the mixture is aerated.
- Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry blender until the butter is pea sized.
- Add the water, starting with 4 tbsp and using more if needed. Mix until dough just comes together.
- Form the dough into a flatted ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the time the dough is resting, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, and vanilla to form the pie filling.
- Roll out half the rested dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9 inch pie pan.
- Fit the rolled dough gently into the pie pan, and fill with strawberry rhubarb filling.
- Roll out the other half of the pastry to create the lid. Place the rolled out pastry over the topping and seal the pie by pressing the two layers together with a fork.
- Brush the top and edges of the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut vents into the top of the pie then bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool, then serve.